R113M Stolen From Rural Schools: Hawks Arrest Service Providers, Government Officials 

Mbombela (Nelspruit) – At least 20 people have been arrested by elite crime busters – the Hawks – on suspicion that they were part of an organised fraud scam that stole millions of rand meant for rural schools in Mpumalanga.

Briefing the media on Sunday, 22 February 2026, head of Mpumalanga’s directorate for priority crime investigation (the Hawks), Major General Nicholas Jacobus Gerber, said they had been pursuing up to 40 suspects, including company directors.

He said of the 20 suspects arrested, 17 were service providers, and the rest were officials from the education department.

Major General Gerber said three of the suspects in the “organised fraud” involving more than R100 million were arrested in Gauteng, Limpopo, and Cape Town.

“The amount involved is R113 million, and this was then distributed in an intricate web of money laundering through the government officials and families of these officials that benefited,” Major General Gerber said.

“That which was destined for schools in rural areas was not directed as it should, and that is why we are here today so that these people can account for the misappropriation of these funds.”

The suspects are expected to appear in court on Monday, 23 February 2026.

Developing story…

The post R113M Stolen From Rural Schools: Hawks Arrest Service Providers, Government Officials appeared first on The Bulrushes.

   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *