Unlawful Power Reconnections: PKTT Arrests 2 More Emfuleni Municipality Staffers 

Johannesburg – The Gauteng Political Killings Task Team (PKTT) has made two more arrests in connection with a case involving alleged fraud, theft and tampering with essential infrastructure at the Emfuleni Local Municipality.

Preliminary investigations have established that the suspects allegedly operated a scheme in which they misrepresented themselves to municipal clients as duly authorised officials who could reconnect electricity supplies that had been disconnected by the municipality.

Clients were allegedly instructed to pay various amounts of money directly into the suspects’ bank accounts in exchange for the illegal reconnection of electricity.

The suspects are further alleged to have unlawfully reconnected electricity supplies without the authorisation of the municipality, resulting in the illegal use of electricity and financial losses for the local authority.

Police spokesperson Brigadier Athlenda Mathe said the pair of suspects was arrested this morning, Sunday 23 August 2026, during an operation conducted in Vanderbijlpark.

“Both suspects are employees attached to the municipality’s Revenue and Electricity Department,” said Brigadier Mathe.

“Their arrests bring the total number of suspects arrested in connection with this investigation to seven.”

On Friday, 21 August 2026, five employees of the Emfuleni Local Municipality were arrested for fraud, theft and tampering with essential infrastructure.

All seven suspects are expected to appear before the Vanderbijlpark Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 24 August 2026.

The post Unlawful Power Reconnections: PKTT Arrests 2 More Emfuleni Municipality Staffers appeared first on The Bulrushes.

   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *